Friday, August 20, 2010

APOTHECARY ~ Making Lavender Linen Spray

This is a recipe for making Lavender Linen Spray from A Prairie Girl's Guide to Life by Jennifer Warick. I read it while I was up at the lake and this was one of the things that I wanted to try for myself. Under my sun room windows I have a little lavender garden planted and I've been meaning to harvest some of the lavender for drying at some point this week.
This is a really simple, and fresh scented spray to make. It's great for spritzing your linens with before bed (as lavender has calming and relaxing properties) or even for spritzing on your clothes before ironing to give them a little more freshness. It's also a pretty gift when packaged in a vintage apothecary bottle if you can find one with the mister. If not, create your own label to give the bottle a more pretty, vintage feel.
In the winter time, I add a little bit of eucalyptus oil - it adds a minty freshness and seems to clear your sinuses which is a bonus in the middle of cold season!
Lavender Linen Spray
Supplies and Ingredients:
Sealed Jar
2 tsp. Lavender Essential Oil
5 tbsp. Vodka 100 proof
1 c. Distilled Water
Glass Spray Jar
Instructions:
Combine oil and vodka and shake vigorously. Add water and pour into spray bottle. Shake gently before using.
Enjoy!
I found this wreath when I was looking for lavender photos online - it's from natural-burial.typepad.com. I just thought it was really pretty.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice! I have started a mental list of handcrafted Christmas gift ideas and this will be added...Another use for the vodka I might do, is a cordial of some kind. Thanks. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shared this post on my blog today. I linked it back to you. Thanks again for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! And it's on my Christmas to-do list too. I'm gathering soap making supplies right now to test out some batches for little Christmas gifts. Things like this always make great little hostess gifts and thankyous around that time of year (and they're so much more personal!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this...it's something I've always wanted to make...thanks so much for sharing the recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this turned out really nice. I always look it when people put this kind of stuff on their door. It allows everyone else to enjoy the beauty of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria