Thursday, December 5, 2013

Pomegranates and A New Book


As each season changes, there is always a fruit that I look forward to seeing in our local grocery store. Late Spring brings pints of locally picked strawberries. Fall brings bushels of crisp apples and pears. But in the Winter I look forward to seeing the giant bin of bright, ruby red pomegranates.

It's only in the last year or so that I've actually learned how to properly (or at least, most effectively in my case) remove all of the delicious little seeds from inside the fruit.

It involves whacking the pomegranate with a wooden spoon over a large bowl. The seeds literally just fall out. It makes Willen laugh every time I do it, which is quite often, because they have become one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast.

Aside from by the spoonful, I really enjoy them over my Greek yogurt with granola. They add this burst of tart freshness that makes something fairly simple seem so much more special.


I make my own very simple granola. I just toast whatever sort of things I have on hand, drizzle them with honey or maple syrup and bake for a while longer. It's quite easy. This morning's granola had oats, coconut, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, golden flax seeds and pecans.



I'm also very excited about a new book I received as an early Christmas gift from a friend of mine. Her and her husband lead our small group. We both love Ann Voskamp, who wrote the hugely popular book One Thousand Gifts, and blogs at A Holy Experience.

This book, The Greatest Gift, is a daily reading for each day of Advent.

"I don't want a Christmas you can buy.
I don't want a Christmas you can make.
What I want is a Christmas you can hold.
A Christmas that holds me.
Remakes me, Revives me.
I want a Christmas that whispers, Jesus."
Ann Voskamp

I am enjoying it immensely. It's a beautiful way to slow down what is usually a crazy, hectic time of year and really just prepare my heart for Christmas.



I've also discovered a new favorite space in our home... Right beside our tree.

I didn't by any means intend for this chair to stay here, but it works. It's the coziest little nook. Even the boys love curling up and reading beside the tree.

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria